Kargapolova E.V., Dmitrieva A.O., Platova T.V.
READING AS A SOCIO-CULTURAL VALUE IN THE VIEWS OF MODERN RUSSIAN STUDENTS
Kargapolova E.V.1 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org, Dmitrieva A.O.2 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – email@example.com, Platova T.V.1 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org
1Plekhanov Russian University of Economics
2Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation
Abstract. This paper analyzes reading as a socio-cultural value in the views of modern Russian students (using the example of students of universities in Moscow and Astrakhan). Based on the results of two waves of empirical research, it is shown that the vast majority of students treat the book as a source of spiritual development, although there is a slight decrease in this indicator. At the same time, there is also no doubt for the majority of respondents that the art of reading needs to be taught and that the book is a “breath of hope” in a rapidly changing world. More than half of the respondents believe that public and home libraries have lost their necessity. But also more than half do not agree that e-books will completely replace books on paper. Respondents most often turn to reading works of fiction for information, pleasure and preparation for academic classes, somewhat less often – for leisure, recreation, entertainment, self-development and self-knowledge, stress relief. At the same time, the frequency of references to fiction decreases – from once a day and more often to once a week and a month. The authors conclude that the representatives of the avant–garde of youth – students – demonstrate the respect for books and reading that is traditional for Russian culture. At the same time, in a consumer society in the conditions of information noise and hypertext formats, the role of books and reading as a socio-cultural value is decreasing, which in the results of our study is manifested in a decrease in the proportion, first of all, of those who consider books a source of spiritual development, as well as a drop in the frequency of references to works of fiction.
Keywords: reading, book, socio-cultural value, reading practices, modern Russian students.
- Vasiliev V.I. On the development of the concept of “book culture” and its essential meaning. Moscow, Science Publ., 2020, pp. 83-93. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=43075483
- Gorenintseva V.N., Gubaidullina A.N., Podkladova T.D. Family reading as a helping practice in the context of social and cultural transformations. Tomsk, TSU Publ., 2019. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41565113
- Demina L. I., Petrozhitskaya I. A. Electronic libraries in the context of the formation of a culture of reading works of art on the Internet. MediaVector, 2023, vol. 7, pp. 25-28. (In Russian). URL:https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=53839119
- Evseev V.O., Structural and semantic modeling of the development of socio-economic and social relations. CITISE, 2020, no. 1 (23), pp. 269-279. EDN: VWNGFA, DOI: 10.15350/24097616.2020.1.25
- Ivanova T.N., Livshits Yu.A. Reading as a sociocultural value in the context of regional development. Togliatti, Togliatti State University Publ., 2019, pp. 314-321. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41337386
- Martynenko A.V. Positioning of reader culture in the digital age: the subculture of “readers” in social networks. Simbirsk Scientific Bulletin, 2021, vol. 43, pp. 94-100. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=48650399
- Migunova Yu.V. Reading as a socio-cultural need of the population of Russia (on the example of the Republic of Bashkortostan). Society: sociology, psychology, pedagogy, 2019, vol. 4 (60), pp. 38-40. (In Russian). EDN: ZGZJXN, DOI: 10.24158/spp.2019.4.5
- Mikhailova L.A., Perchatkin N.O. Reading as a means of developing socio-cultural competence. Ekaterinburg, Ural State Pedagogical University Publ.,2022, pp. 81-88. https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=48564351
- Mosunova L. A. Reading as a means of communication in the era of globalization. Bulletin of the Vyatka State University, 2021, 4(42). pp. 119-128. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=48225590
- Parshukova G. B. Library and values of modern culture. Novosibirsk, Novosibirsk State Public Scientific and Technical Library of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences Publ., 2021, pp. 50-57. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=30027606
- Antipova A.M., Kalinina E.S. Free reading of a schoolboy as a sociopedagogic phenomenon. Literature at school, 2021, no. 2, pp. 66-77. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=45605624
- Mosunova L.A. Reading fiction as a process of understanding meaning. Questions of psychology, 2005, no. 5, pp. 66-74. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=44285424
- Oleshko E.V. “New reading” as a form of consumption of modern media products. Proceedings of the Ural Federal University. Series 1: Problems of education, science and culture. 2020, vol. 26, no. 4 (201), pp. 13-18. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=44437489
- Trubitsyna L.V. Reading for oneself and reading for others as two independent types of adult reading. Kazakhstan Science Journal, 2021, vol. 4, no. 9 (34), pp. 13-18. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=47257075
- Tikhomirova I.I. Reading in education and reading in culture: what is the difference? Librarianship, 2012, no. 1 (163), pp. 30-34. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17306938
For citation: Kargapolova E.V., Dmitrieva A.O., Platova T.V. Reading as a socio-cultural value in the views of modern Russian students. CITISE, 2023, no. 2, pp. 453-464. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2023.2.40