Gorlova N.I., Starovoitova L.I.
«SERVICE LEARNING» AS AN EFFECTIVE METHOD OF ORGANIZING THE EDUCATIONAL PROCESS THROUGH SOCIALLY USEFUL ACTIVITIES IN A MODERN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
Gorlova N.I.1 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – email@example.com, Starovoitova L.I.2 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org
1Plekhanov Russian University of Economics
2Russian National Research Medical University named after N.I. Pirogov
Abstract. The article is devoted to the practice-oriented pedagogical method “Service-learning”. The article analyzes domestic and foreign practices of successful implementation of this method in universities of different countries (Germany, Spain, Israel, China, etc.). Of particular interest is “Service-learning” as an effective technology for organizing the educational process through volunteer practice and social activity in a modern educational institution. Ministry training is the training and subsequent use of students’ skills in an effort to help the community solve social problems. The authors consider this method as a way to learn and develop personally, to build an individual trajectory of professional growth, to have a higher sense of social responsibility. This approach allows students to significantly increase the effectiveness of learning by engaging in socially useful activities that are directly related to what they are studying. The concept of the method “teaching by service (teaching by action)” is based on the recognition that “service (action)”and “teaching” have equal value and equal importance for the results of the educational process, the purpose of which is the formation of a responsible citizen of his country. The results of the study can be useful for teachers and heads of educational institutions who are interested in developing students’ professional competencies and civic participation in solving problems of the local community.
Keywords: methodology “Service–learning», socially useful work, practice of social service, social competence, independence, academic training, educational institutions.
- Buyakova K.I. Malkova I.Yu. Volunteering as a form of organization of educational activities in the context of the “third mission” of the University. Higher education in Russia, 2021, vol. 30, no. 8-9, pp. 69-79. (In Russian). DOI: https://doi.org/10.31992/0869-3617-2021-30-8-9-69-79
- Gaete Sepulveda M.A. Training in service through design and applied activities. Methodological recommendations for universities. Moscow, Gryphon Publ., 2022. 90 p. (In Russian).
- Gorbul Yu.A., Yuryeva L.A. “Service-learning” as a technology of professional and legal training of students on the basis of legal clinics of universities. Pedagogy. Questions of theory and practice, 2019, vol. 4, no. 4, pp.. 145-151. (In Russian). DOI: https://doi.org/10.30853/pedagogy.2019.4.26
- Zakirova L. F. The method of “Service-learning” in foreign pedagogy (on the example of German universities). Kazan Pedagogical Journal, 2010, no. 5-6, pp. 158-165. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=15647156
- Zinevich O.V., Balmasova T.A. “The third mission” and the social involvement of universities: towards the formulation of the problem. Power, 2015, no. 6, pp. 67-72. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23888341
- Krutitskaya E.V. Organization of a volunteer center at a university from competencies to organizational structure. Moscow, Mosvolonter Publ., 2018. 162 p. (In Russian).
- Zemtsov D. I., Metelev A. P., Yashina A.V. etc. Teaching by ministry: key results of the study of foreign experience. Moscow, Higher School of Economics Publ., 2023. 24 p. (In Russian). DOI: 10.31453/kdu.ru.978-5-7913-1194-8-2021-464
- Metelev A.P.,. Belanovsky Y.S, Gorlova N.I. etc. Organization of voluntary (volunteer) activities and interaction with socially oriented NGOs. Moscow, HSE Publ., 2022. 456 p. (In Russian). DOI: 10.17323/978-5-7598-2634-7
- Anikeeva O.A., Rudnitskaya A.P., Reshetnikov O.V.. Fundamentals of the organization and management of volunteer activity. Moscow, Russian State University Publ., 2019. 245 p. (In Russian).
- Reshetnikov O.V. Technologies of social service in the practice of training municipal employees.Local Law, 2017, no. 2. pp.17-25. (In Russian).
- Solonin S.I., Kortov S.V. Quality of education: problems and tasks of changing the internal environment of the university. University management: practice and analysis, 2003, no. 2(25), pp. 64-69. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=9208840
- Adloff F. Community Service und Service-Learning: Eine sozialwissenschaftliche Bestandsaufnahme zum freiwilligen Engagement an amerikanischen Schulen und Universitäten. Berlin, 2001. (in German).
- Furco A. Is service-learning really better than community service? A study of high school service program outcomes. Greenwich, 2002. pp. 23-50.
- Santilli N.R., Falbo M.C. Bringing adolescents into the classroom by sending your students out: Using service learning in adolescent development courses. Newsletter of the Society for Research on Adolescence, 2001. vol. 5, pp. 4-6.
- Sliwka A., Petry C., Kalb P. Durch Verantwortung lernen – Service Learning: Etwas für andere tun. Weinheim, Beltz Publ., 2004. 240 p.
For citation: Gorlova N.I., Starovoitova L.I. «Service learning» as an effective method of organizing the educational process through socially useful activities in a modern educational institution. CITISE, 2023, no. 2, pp. 226-235. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2023.2.19