Suslova T.F., Starovoitova L.I.
THE ROLE OF GRANDPARENTS IN THE UPBRINGING AND SOCIALIZATION OF THE YOUNGER GENERATION
Suslova T.F.1 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – email@example.com, Starovoitova L.I.2 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org
1State University of Education
2Russian National Research Medical University named after N.I. Pirogov
Abstract. The article reveals the educational potential of the grandparents, their role in the socialization of the younger generation. The features of intergenerational relations, types and roles of grandparents and their influence on the development of children (grandchildren) are analyzed. Some aspects of the relationship between grandparents and grandchildren – preschoolers, younger schoolchildren and adolescents are presented. The points of view of domestic and foreign scientists on intergenerational relations between grandparents and grandchildren are given. The types and roles of progenitors proposed by domestic and foreign scientists are analyzed, and the results of a study by scientists from Russia, the USA and some Western countries of interpersonal relations in the dyads “grandmother – grandson – teenager” and “grandmother – grandson – junior schoolchild” are considered. The main conclusion based on the results of theoretical and empirical research was the assertion that, despite the concern about the declining role of grandparents in the upbringing and socialization of the younger generation, the vast majority of grandparents have close and constructive contact with their grandchildren, there is a creative and meaningful connection between generations.The results of the study can be useful for teachers and heads of educational institutions, as well as students in the areas of training “Pedagogy” and “Social work”.
Keywords: grandparents, socialization of the younger generation, types and roles of grandparents, intergenerational ties.
- Bednarchuk A.I. The main functions of the older generation in modern Russia. Theories and problems of political research, 2018, vol. 7, no. 44, pp. 141-147. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36654829
- Vovk E. Old people in the family: features of intergenerational interaction. Otechestvennye zapiski, 2005, no. 3 (23). (In Russian).
- Zakharov A.I. Neurosis in children and psychotherapy. St. Petersburg, Soyuz Publ., 1998. 336 p. (In Russian). ISBN 5-87852-060-5
- Craig G. Psychology of development. St. Petersburg, Peter Publ., 2000. 992 p. (In Russian). ISBN 5-94723-187-5
- Krasnova O.V., Leaders A.G. Social psychology of old age. Proc. allowance for high school students textbook establishments. Moscow, Academy Publ., 2002. 287 p. (In Russian). ISBN 5-7695-0831-0
- Nesterova A.A., Suslova T.F. Psychologist’s professional ethics: textbook and workshop for universities. Moscow, Yurayt Publ., 2023. 356 p. (In Russian). ISBN 978-5-9916-8758-4
- Rice F., Dolgin K. Psychology of adolescence and youth. St. Petersburg, Peter Publ., 2010. 812 p. (In Russian). ISBN 978-5-49807-290-6
- Rean A.A. Family: psychology, pedagogy. Moscow, AST Publ., 2010. 576 p. (In Russian).
- Sorokina O.A. Comparative analysis of maternal and grandparental styles of raising a preschooler in the family. Methodical work, 2017, no. 3, pp. 107-111. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29203372
- Suslova T.F., Shapovalenko I.V. Family psychology with the basics of family counseling. Moscow, Yurayt Publ., 2023. 343 p. (In Russian). ISBN 978-5-534-00869-2
- Suslova T.F. Social activity of older people in the sphere of family interaction. Social policy and sociology, 2013, no. 8(86), pp. 49-55. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18887407
- Federal educational program of primary general education. Order of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation dated November 16, 2023. No. 992. Available at: http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/0001202212220053 (accessed 1 May 2023)
- Fokina E.V. Using the potential of intergenerational ties. Bulletin of the Kostroma State University named after N.A. Nekrasov. 2010, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 120-123. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=15283752
- Tsvetkova N.A., Nesterova A.A., Starovoitova L.I. Psychological support for persons of mature and elderly age. Monograph. Moscow, KnoRus Publ., 2019. 214 p. (In Russian). ISBN 978-5-466-03894-1
- Blundon A. The role of grandparents. In: Singh, A., Devine, M. Rural Transformation and Newfoundland and Labrador Diaspora. Transgressions. Rotterdam, Sense Publishers Publ., 2013. pp. 243-250. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-6209-302-7_21
- Goodfellow J., Laverty J. Grandparents supporting working families: Satisfaction and choice in provision of child care. Family Matters, 2003, vol. 66, pp. 14-19. URL: https://aifs.gov.au/sites/default/files/FM66_0.pdf
- Ferguson N. Children’s contact with grandparents after divorce. Family Matters, 2004, vol. 67, pp. 36-41.URL: https://aifs.gov.au/sites/default/files/nf_0.pdf
- Viguer P., Melendez Ju.C., Valencia S. Grandparent-Grandchild Retationships from the Childrens Perspective: Shared Activities and Socialization Styles. The Spanish Journal of Psychlogy, 2010, vol. 13. issue 2, pp. 708 – 717. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1138741600002377
- Salazar L.R., Khandelwal P., Castillo Y. The effects of received grandmothers’ affection on adult grandchildren’s health behaviors using affection exchange theory. BMC Public Health, 2022, vol. 22, art. 714. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-022-13049-4
- Van Ranst N., Verschueren K., Marcoen A. The meaning of grandparents as viewed by adolescent grandchildren: an empirical study in Belgium. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 1995, vol. 41(4), pp. 311-324. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2190/PPLV-DWG7-HV9R-6LVB
For citation: Suslova T.F., Starovoitova L.I. The role of grandparents in the upbringing and socialization of the younger generation. CITISE, 2023, no. 3, pp. 282-292. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2023.3.24