Kulinskaya Y.V., Mellekh T.H., Beschaskina N.V.
APPLICATION PROSPECTS OF A SCORE-RATING SYSTEM IN TEACHING PART-TIME STUDENTS AT A TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
Kulinskaya Y.V.1 (St Petersburg, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org, Mellekh T.H.1 (St Petersburg, Russian Federation) – email@example.com, Beschaskina N.V.1 (St Petersburg, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org
1Saint Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering
Abstract. The article discusses the score-rating system (SRS) as a new form of assessing the knowledge of students, in which students can self-control the process of their learning and the degree of assimilation of educational material. The authors considered various definitions of SRS and ways of its application. The relevance of introducing the system, primarily for students of extramural and part-time forms of education, is emphasized. According to the specifics of these forms of education, students learn most of the material on their own, therefore, it is necessary not only to allow the teacher to assess knowledge, but also to give students the opportunity to self-examine the level of knowledge at any stage of learning. The scientific novelty of the work lies in the development and testing of the SRS, which is optimal for a technical university, for assessing the knowledge of students of extramural and part-time forms of education and in considering various options for criteria for obtaining a final “pass” grade or higher. SRS is not only used as a system for assessing and controlling knowledge, but also as a motivating component of learning. The proposed system solves a number of important tasks in the organization of the educational process: it encourages students to complete tasks on time throughout the semester; makes it possible to evaluate each type of students extracurricular work; provides a comprehensive assessment of students’ knowledge both in the process and at the end of training. The correct organization of the SRS makes it possible to increase the motivation of students for systematic and high-quality work throughout the entire period of study in the discipline. Even if the goal of the student is only to get the minimum score for the test, he will have to learn the necessary minimum of material. A review of the presented experience in the implementation of SRS in extramural and part-time forms of education in a technical university will allow us to take into account and improve the model for evaluating the results of mastering educational material in other educational institutions, as well as to consider the motivating component of the educational process.
Keywords: score-rating system, SRS, part-time education.
- Zubova L.V., Rener E.I., Rozhina T.D. Problems of application of score-rating system in the university to monitor students’ academic achievements. Pedagogical education in Russia, 2016, no. 10, pp. 53–60. (In Russian). EDN: XACBSZ, DOI: 10.26170/po16-10-09
- Borkovskaya V.G., Kovalev A.S. Student assessment as a tool to improve the quality of higher education. Construction: science and education, 2020, vol. 10, issue 1, no 7, pp. 1–9. (In Russian). DOI: 10.22227/2305-5502.2020.1.7
- Kirk Y.G., Kulinskaya E.V. A model to project a rating plan for the academic discipline. Pedagogy. Theory & practice, 2019, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 39–45. (In Russian). DOI: 10.30853/pedagogy.2019.3.7
- Starichenko B.E. Point-rating system for evaluation of the student learning activity: the questions of purpose. Pedagogical education in Russia, 2017, no. 5, pp. 116–125. (In Russian). EDN: YPSTEJ, DOI: 10.26170/po17-05-19
- Kochetova I.V. Point-rating system of training students in high school. Teaching experiment in education, 2016, no. 1, pp. 17–23. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=25625935
- Kramer S.M., Gorina Y.E., Khomyakova N.V. Creation and implementation of points rating system of students’ knowledge and achievements estimation in UMECH. Izvestiya MGTU “MAMI”, 2014, vol. 5, no. 22, pp. 194–199. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23028576
- Markova S.V., Khandy M.V., Ammosova A.M. Point-rating system of assessment in training students in the pediatrics course. Vestnik of North-Eastern Federal University. Medical Sciences, 2017, no. 1 (06), pp. 71–74. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=28879373
- Sokova I.A. Grade-rating system for extramural students with the remote training. Kant, 2017, no. 3 (24), pp. 52–58. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=30028067
- Vaganova V. G. Organization of point-rating control in physics education at a technical university. Modern problems of science and education, 2019, no. 6, pp. 47. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=42405909
- Novikova E.Y. Point-rating system: students’ opinion. Higher education in Russia, 2013, no. 7, pp. С. 132–136. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=20159468
- Khaibulaev M.Kh., Fetalieva L.P. Forms of control, accounting and assessment of competencies. Innovation science, 2016, no. 10–2, pp. 207–212. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=27195523
- Borschenko G.M. Cumulative grading system as a factor of the educational process. Pedagogical Image, 2022, vol. 16, no. 3 (56), pp. 317–335. (In Russian). DOI: 10.32343/2409-5052-2022-16-3-317-335
- Klyueva E.G., Terekhov A.G. The role of the score-rating system in the educational and cognitive activity of medical university students. Innova, 2021, no. 4(25), pp. 24–32. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=47689811
- Sirenko S.N. Testing in the system of methods of control and assessment of knowledge in a modern university. Innovative Educational Technologies, 2010, no. 2 (22), pp. 44–51. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=28856983
- Smyk A.F., Guseva E.A. Computer testing as method of education quality increase in physics. Vestnik MADI, 2015, no. 1 (40), pp. 3–8. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23057910
- Petruneva R.M., Vasilyeva V.D., Petruneva Y.V. Problems of higher school didactics: uncut pages. Higher education in Russia, 2021, vol. 30, no. 8–9, pp. 56–68. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=46580400
For citation: Kulinskaya Y.V., Mellekh T.H., Beschaskina N.V. Application prospects of a score-rating system in teaching part-time students at a technical university. CITISE, 2023, no. 2, pp. 475-487. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2023.2.42