Berman N.D., Bezmaternykh K.L.
SUPPORT FOR SELF-REGULATED LEARNING IN ONLINE ENVIRONMENT
Berman N.D.1 (Khabarovsk, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org, Bezmaternykh K.L.1 (Khabarovsk, Russian Federation) – email@example.com
1Pacific National University
Abstract. Digitization and the transition to remote ways of working have influenced life, study and work in the 21st century. However, the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic provoked an even stronger, irreversible dependence on digital technologies in general and in online education in particular. Current trends in education suggest that working in a distance learning environment is becoming more common and may become the new normal over time. At this stage, it is expected that students already have some degree of competence for independent work. Effective and successful online learning requires self-regulated learning skills and the ability of students to control the learning process. The transition to distance learning during the pandemic has demonstrated that the lack of the ability to self-regulate and work effectively in the new educational environment causes students to have learning difficulties. The choice of ways to support a student’s self-regulated learning in an online environment is an urgent task and should be carried out taking into account the fact that the assistance provided should not only technically support the student in this educational context, but also contribute to the development of his skills of self-regulation and self-efficacy. The purpose of this work is to consider self-regulated learning of students in an online environment. Self-regulation and self-efficacy of a student in distance learning becomes one of the important factors for successful learning activities. Self-regulated learning of students in an online environment allows them to demonstrate their ability to develop their own learning goals, be able to plan the learning process, effectively use educational content and materials, be effective in the learning process, as well as regulate and conduct self-assessment of their learning outcomes.
Keywords: self-regulation, self-regulated learning, self-efficacy, online environment, distance learning, ways to support self-regulated learning, online education, motivation, emotions, learning strategies, digital tools.
- Albelbisi N. Yusop F. Factors Influencing Learners’ Self –Regulated Learning Skills in a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Environment. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 2019, vol. 20(3), pp. 1-16. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17718/tojde.598191
- Carter Jr R.A. Rice M., Yang S. Self-regulated learning in online learning environments: strategies for remote learning. Information and Learning Science, 2020, vol. 121(5/6), pp. 321-329. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/ILS-04-2020-0114
- Smirnov A.A., Kalinina I.F. Online learning at the university during the Covid-19 pandemic. Social and Humanitarian Technologies, 2021, no 1 (17), pp. 115-122. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=46198279
- Shilko R. S., Egorov S. Yu. Self-regulated learning in the format of mass open online courses. Moscow, Psychological Institute of the Russian Academy of Education Publ.,2021. pp. 130-136. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=46530260
- Berman N.D., Berman A.Yu. Self-efficacy in learning. Russian Journal of Education and Psychology, 2019, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 10-13. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=38214169
- Devolder A. Braak J. van, Tondeur J. Supporting self-regulated learning in computer-based learning environments: Systematic review of effects of scaffolding in the domain of science education. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 2012, vol. 28, issue 6, pp. 557-573. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2729.2011.00476.x
- Klimenskikh M.V., Lebedeva Yu.V., Maltsev A.V. Psychological factors of effective online teaching of students. Prospects of science and education, 2019, no 6 (42), pp. 312-321. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41652649
- Bylieva D., Hong J.-C., Lobatyuk V. Self-Regulation in E-Learning Environment // Education Sciences, 2021, vol. 11, issue 12. 785. URL: https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci11120785
- Adam N.L., Alzahri F.B., Cik Soh S. Self-Regulated Learning and Online Learning. A Systematic Review. Springer Publ., Cham. 2017. pp. 143-154. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-70010-6_14
- Berman N.D. Influence of self-efficacy on student learning. World of Science. Pedagogy and psychology, 2020, vol. 8, no 2, pp. 65. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=43171433
- Rodionova E.V., Konyukhova T.V., Lukyanova N.A. Emotional intelligence of students of the digital generation: the experience of an engineering university. Education and self-development, 2022, vol. 17, no 4, pp. 126-138. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=50099287
- Bandura A. Theory of social learning. St. Petersburg, Eurasia Publ, 2000. 320 p.
- Zimmerman B.J. Self-Regulated Learning and Academic Achievement: An Overview. Educational Psychologist, 1990, vol. 25, issue 1, pp. 13-17. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep2501_2
- Zimmerman B.J. Self-regulated learning: Theories, measures, and outcomes. International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences, 2015, pp. 541–546. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-097086-8.26060-1
- Broadbent J., Poon W.L. Self-regulated learning strategies & academic achievement in online higher education learning environments: A systematic review. The Internet and Higher Education, 2015, vol. 27, pp. 1-13. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2015.04.007
- Enova I.V. Formation of personal self-efficacy of university students in the learning process: psychological and pedagogical aspects. Education: traditions and innovations, 2020, no 4 (31), pp. 40-43. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=46531074
- Koryakina Ya.V., Lomteva T.N., Kamensky M.V. Self-regulated learning in the context of digitalization of education. Bulletin of the North Caucasian Federal University, 2019, no 2 (71), pp. 141-148. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=38240629
- Pintrich P.R., Zeidner M. Handbook of self-regulation. Elsevier Science & Technology. Cambridge, Academic Press Publ., 2000. 816 p. ISBN 9780080533209
- Zimmerman B.J. Becoming a self-regulated learner: An overview. Theory into Practice, 2002, vol. 41, issue 2, pp. 64-70. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/s15430421tip4102_2
- Winne P.H., Hadwin, A.F. Studying as self-regulated learning. Metacognition in educational theory and practice. Routledge Publ., 1998. pp. 277-304. ISBN 9781410602350
- Vilkova K.A. Measuring self-regulated learning: a review of tools. Modern Foreign Psychology, 2020, vol 9, no 2, pp. 123-132. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=43785034
- Ryabova E.N., Palibina A.S. Online learning in a pandemic: problems and challenges. Yearbook of Russian educational legislation, 2020, vol. 15, no 20, pp. 181-195. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=45664749
- Alenina E.A., Bartseva K.V., Li O.V. Pandemic Lessons: An Analysis of the Experience of Transitioning to Online Teaching in Secondary School. Psychological Science and Education, 2022, vol. 27, no 6, pp. 84-101. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=50359717
- Krasnova A.N. The influence of information overload on the decision-making ability of a modern personality. World of Pedagogy and Psychology, 2021, no 6 (59), pp. 69-75. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=50359717
- Huang R.H., Liu D. J., Amelina N.G. Recommendations for active learning at home during the suspension of in-person education: developing student self-regulation skills during the COVID-19 outbreak. Beijing, Smart Learning Institute, Beijing Normal University Publ., 2020. 78 p. (In Russian).
- Danilenko T.V. Personal motivation in modern education. Krasnodar, Krasnodar Center for Scientific and Technical Information Publ., 2019. pp. 11-16. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=37540038
- Naumov A.V. Self-reflection as a determinant of the psychological well-being of the personality of psychology students. Universum: Psychology and Education, 2022, no. 2 (92), pp. 16-20. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=47984896
For citation: Berman N.D., Bezmaternykh K.L. Support for self-regulated learning in the online environment. CITISE, 2023, no. 2, pp. 335-344. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2023.2.29