Kairova I.A., Koshman M.V., Tkachenko V.A., Shevchenko A.A.
PECULIARITIES OF PERCEPTION OF THE IMAGE OF THE CITY OF ROSTOV-ON-DON BY LOCAL RESIDENTS
Kairova I.A.1 (Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org, Koshman M.V.1 (Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation) – email@example.com, Tkachenko V.A.1 (Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org, Shevchenko A.A.1 (Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation) – email@example.com
1Don State Technical University
Abstract. Introduction. Global globalization processes lead to increased competition between cities. In such a situation, understanding the psychological mechanisms of perception and emotional connection will be an important factor for creating a unique brand of the city that stands out in a competitive environment. Perception of the image of the city is a key factor in making a decision about visiting, living or investing in the city. This creates the need to develop effective branding strategies that take into account the specifics of the perception of the image of the city. The psychological approach allows a deeper understanding of the processes of perception and emotional connection of people with the city. The study of psychological mechanisms helps to determine which aspects of the city cause positive or negative emotions, and use this information to create a strong and attractive brand. Understanding the preferences and needs of local residents allows you to create an attractive image of the city, as well as strengthen attachment and prevent population outflow. Purpose. The purpose of our research is to identify associations with the city, as well as its strengths and weaknesses using the questionnaire method. Materials and methods. When compiling the survey, which became the main source of information, we used the associative approach method, which has a number of advantages described in the article. Results. In the course of the study, we learned the respondents’ reaction to the logo of the city, which, as it turned out, a small percentage of people know about. After learning about it, people gave a rather positive response. The most popular associations with the city were identified, for example, Rostov-on-Don is a student city. This information will help to identify the main vector in the development of the brand and the image of the city, which will further ensure its beneficial differentiation. Discussion and conclusion. Based on the results obtained, it is possible to identify the target audience of Rostov as a tourist destination, as well as as a city for permanent residence. In addition, the results obtained can be used to strengthen positive associations with Rostov-on-Don.
Keywords: image of the city, territorial branding, geobranding, perception of Rostov-on-Don, associative links.
- Arshinova M.A. Brand image as a result of its perception by the consumer. Innovations and investments, 2018, no. 4, pp. 168-171. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41855239
- Bandura A. Social learning theory. LLC Publishing Group “Eurasia”. St. Petersburg, Eurasia Publ., 2000. 318 p. (In Russian). ISBN 5-8071-0040-9
- Ivanova N.A. Application of the method of free associations in empirical sociological research. Bulletin of St. Petersburg University. Episode 12. Psychology. Sociology. Pedagogy, 2013, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 116-122. (In Russian). URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=20224093
- Kiryunin A.E. The image of the region as the internalization of culture. Moscow, Univ Publ., 2000. 143 p. (In Russian). ISBN 5-8013-0100-3
- Litvina S.A., Muravyova O.I. Questionnaire of identity with the city: development, validation, reliability testing. Bulletin of the Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University, 2018, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 73-91. (In Russian). EDN: YRNSAK, DOI: 10.15293/2226-3365.1801.05
- Ozerina A.A., Timofeeva T.S. Review of modern foreign studies of the phenomenon “Urban identity”. Logos et Praxi, 2019, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 142-151. (In Russian). DOI: https://doi.org/10.15688/lp.jvolsu.2019.4.17
- Almeida G.G.F.d., Cardoso L. Discussions between Place Branding and Territorial Brand in Regional Development – A Classification Model Proposal for a Territorial Brand. Sustainability, 2022, vol. 14, 6669. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/su14116669
- Anholt S. Competitive identity. The new brand management for nations, cities and regions. London, Palgrave Macvillian Publ., 2007. 134 p. ISBN 978-0230500280
- Berger L., Luckmann T. The Social Construction of Reality. New York, Anchor Publ., 1995. 240 p.
- Chan A., Suryadipura D., Kostini N. City Image: City Branding and City Identity Strategies. Review of Integrative Business and Economics Research, 2021, vol. 10, issue 1, pp. 330-341.
- Eskiev M.A. Territory Branding as An Opportunity for The Region Development. London, European Publisher Publ., 2021. 2730 p. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2021.11.70
- Foroudi P., Mauri C., Dennis C. Place Branding: Connecting Tourist Experiences to Places. London, Routledge Publ., 2020. 354 p.
- Goffman G. Interaction Ritual – Essays on Face-to-Face Behavior. New York, Pantheon Publ., 1982. 282 p.
- Li Y., Hsü P., Hao G., Sun K. City Brand Image Building and Its Impact on the Psychological Capital of New Entrepreneurs Following Cultural Construction. Frontiers in Psychology, 2021, vol. 12. 717303. DOI:10.3389/fpsyg.2021.717303
- Zaltman G. How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market. Harvard, Harvard Business School Press Publ., 2003. 349 p.
For citation: Kairova I.A., Koshman M.V., Tkachenko V.A., Shevchenko A.A. Peculiarities of perception of the image of the city of Rostov-on-Don by local residents. CITISE, 2023, no. 3, pp. 448-460. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2023.3.37