GENDER SOCIALIZATION AS A PEDAGOGICAL INSTRUMENT FOR MODELING HUMAN BEHAVIOR
Nona N. Tigishvili –Candidate of sociological sciences, associate professor of the department of social work, North Ossetian State University named after K.L. Khetagurov, Vladikavkaz, Russian Federation, E-mail: email@example.com
Abstract. The article is devoted to the analysis of the features of gender socialization as an important tool for modeling behavior in society, the identification of historical, cultural and social contexts that allow men and women to comprehend and use the impact of gender stereotypes on the processes of their self-realization. Particular attention is paid to issues such as: gender stereotypes that determine the status-role characteristics of men and women; gender factors reinforcing the dominant position of men and discriminatory practices against women; gender differences and assessment of the nature of the influence of these differences (positive or negative) on the individual life path of a man and woman, the possibility of their self-improvement; gender socialization as a condition of psychological and social development of an individual. The pressure of gender stereotypes negatively affects the social consciousness of a person, and in some cases harms the psychological health of the population as a whole. The author proves the thesis that there are a huge number of factors that affect the gender-role socialization of a person, starting from birth and throughout life, that gender stereotypes play the role of schemes through which people are more likely to notice and remember examples that confirm sustainable beliefs about gender. In conclusion, the author came to the conclusion that it is advisable not only to conduct educational and corrective work with the adult population of the society, revealing the mechanisms for constructing gender identity in different temporal and sociocultural contexts, but also to introduce a gender approach in all spheres of society’s life, justifying all kinds of changes in identity in men and women in a situation of social transformations that are broadcast by a person throughout life and form gender roles.
Keywords: gender, gender socialization, gender roles, gender identity, modeling of gender behavior in society, the social roles of men and women.
- Agrasheva O.E. Gender in the inter-discursive space of political and economic discourses (on the example of speeches by American women politicians). Russia and the West: dialogue of cultures, 2019, no. 22, pp. 73-78. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41440074
- Bekoeva M.I. The integration of the labor market and the market of educational services as a condition for sustainable socio-economic development of the state. Personality in a changing world: health, adaptation, development, 2019, vol.7, no. 3 (26), pp. 459-468. (In Russian) DOI: 10.23888/humJ20193459-468 URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=40380823
- Bendas T. Gender Psychology. Saint Petersburg. Peter Publ., 2006. 412 p.
- Voronova A.V. Gender as a subject of interdisciplinary analysis. Yaroslavl Pedagogical Bulletin, 2015, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 196-201. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23323079
- Hasanova B.M., Mutalimova A.M., Daudova D.M. The effect of gender on marital-family conflict. International Journal of Medicine and Psychology, 2019, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 207-212. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=39186210.
- Gahramanova G.N. The definition of the concept of “gender”: the social and biological gender of a person. Vector of Science, Togliatti State University. Series: Pedagogy, Psychology, 2015, no. 1 (20), pp. 237-239. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23453686.
- Gnevasheva V.A. Gender and higher professional education: aspects of trust. Ivanovo. Ivanovo State University Publ., 2019, pp. 309-313. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41234915.
- Kogan B.M., Viktorova O.A. The gender aspect of personal development at various stages of adolescence, System Psychology and Sociology, 2015, no. 2 (14), pp. 25-30. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=24850886
- Raҳmonzoda G.R. The theoretical foundations of the formation of gender as a scientific direction. Bulletin of the A. Bakhovaddinov Institute of Philosophy, Politics and Law of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, 2019, no 2, pp. 124-129. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41160185
- Sokolov V.Yu. Gender as a sociocultural personality trait. Problems of modern education. 2017, no. 6, pp. 300-307. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32298348
- Tarasenko O.N. Gender in terms of its interaction with social, psychological and cultural factors. Modern Scientific Thought, 2014, no. 1, pp. 193-200. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=21144852.
- Thagapsoev H.G., Shadzhe A.Yu., Ilyinova N.A. Gender Determination by Ethnic Factor: Caucasian Discourse. Moscow. Sputnik Publ., 2019, 134 p. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41173301.
- Shatokhina L.V., Kalashnikova M.M. Age-related changes in the properties of temperament. Personality in a changing world: health, adaptation, development, 2019, vol. 7, no. 3 (26). (In Russian) DOI: 10.23888/humJ20193538-548
- Yadov V.A. Self-regulation and prediction of social behavior of a person. Leningrad, Science Publ., 1979, 263 p. (In Russian)
- Stoller R. Sex and Gender: On the Development of Masculinity and Femininity. New York. Science House Publ., 1968, 383 p.
Tigishvili N.N. Gender socialization as a pedagogical instrument for modeling human behavior. CITISE, 2020, no. 3, pp.101-108. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2020.3.09