Wu Xi, V. Borkovskaya
RESEARCH OF THE PROFIT MODEL OF THE CHINESE E-COMMERCE PLATFORM ON THE EXAMPLE OF ALIBABA AND DHGATE
Wu Xi –Master’s degree student of the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics, faculty of Management, international business», China, ORCID 0000-0002-1909-4305, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Victoria G. Borkovskaya –PhD in Economics, Associated Professor, Plekhanov Russian University of Economics, Moscow, Russian Federation, ORCID Code: 0000-0003-0516-2124, Scopus ID 55976587600, E-mail: email@example.com
Abstract. With the development of science and technology and the rise of people’s living standards, competition in the Chinese e-Commerce industry has become tougher. The era of “new retail” has come, namely “online + offline”. As one of the fundamental factors determining the survival of an enterprise, the profit model should be adopted by every e-Commerce platform to cope with current and future trends in the development of the e-Commerce sphere. The authors of this article choose the cases of Alibaba and DHgate and analyze their existing profit models based on the SWOT model. The article is devoted to the study of the main factors affecting the development of e-Commerce in China, the analysis of the problems of the formation of the e-Commerce market, as well as a comparison of the two branches of e-Commerce Alibaba Group and DHgate. The article describes the modern structure of e-Commerce in China. The focus is on the main factors of influence of Internet giants on the socio-economic development of the people’s Republic of China-for example, Alibaba Group. The authors of the article believe that Alibaba should start its own logistics and separate warehousing to improve its profit model. While DHgate should take the opportunity to update its profit model, taking advantage of its offline experience by applying it online.
Keywords: profit model, e-commerce, SWOT, practice of Alibaba and DHgate, logistics, risks, entrepreneurship.
- Michael Porter. Competitive Strategy. China Financial and Economic Publishing House, 1998.
- Slywoski A., Morrison D. J., Albertz L. H. Profit Model. Citic Press Publ., 1999. DOI: 10.1108/10878570010335930
- Wang T., Idrisov Sh. A. Russian-Chinese cross-border electronic trade in the coordinate system “one belt, one road”. Financial Economics, 2019, no. 11, pp. 223-229. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41429197
- Dzhandzhugazova E. A. Red tourism in the focus of problems of development of Russian-Chinese economic cooperation. Service in Russia and abroad, 2017, no. 6, pp. 6 -12．(In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32245932
- Borkovskaya V., Lyapuntsova E., Nogovitsyn M. Risks and safety in construction by increasing efficiency of investments. Tashkent, EDP Sciences Publ., 2019. ID. 06036. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41641601
- Borkovskaya V. G. Project management risks in the sphere of housing and community services. MATEC Web of Conferences, 2018, vol. 251, pp. 06025. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/title_about.asp?id=53940
- Borkovskaya V. G. Project risks. Scientific review, 2015, no. 23, pp. 212-214. URL: (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=25602016
- Evseev V. O. New model of social development. CITISE, 2016, no. 3, pp. 1. URL: (In Russian)URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29461676
- Evseev V. O. Living space as a factor in the formation of national mentality. Scientific notes of the Russian state social University, 2010, no. 7, pp. 12-20. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=16523821
- Evseev V.O., Borkovskaya V.G., Barkhi R., Modelling the reliability of the implementation of the schedule building work. Moscow, Journal of Physics Publ., 2019. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/1425/1/012175
- Kaluzhsky M. L. Innovative forms of sales in e-Commerce. Practical marketing, 2013, no. 4 (194), pp. 23-34. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18889967
- Li Sh. Russian-Chinese relations: problems and prospects of trade and economic cooperation between Russia and China. Novosibirsk, Siberian academic book Publ., 2018, pp. 25-34. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36718313
- Action plan for the implementation of the tourism development Strategy in the Russian Federation until 2020. Available at: https://www.russiatourism.ru/data/File/news_file/2014/Plan%20performance%20po% (accessed 1 September 2020)
- Sarygulov M. A. Digital technologies and new trends in business development. Economics and management, 2018, no. 6 (152), pp. 57-65. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=35384956
- Hongjie C.H. Current situation and problems of cross-border e-Commerce between China and Russia. Science and the world, 2015, vol. 2, no. 8 (24), pp. 126-128. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23926121.
- Curse H. China-Russia cross-border e-Commerce: state and opportunities. Economics and politics, 2017, no. 2 (10), pp. 68-71. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=30782670
- Chen T.S. Cross-Border e-Commerce between China and Russia: past, present and future. Bulletin of the Amur state University. Series: Natural and economic Sciences, 2017, no. 79, pp. 107-111. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32273200
Wu Xi, Borkovskaya V.G. Research of the profit model of the Chinese e-commerce platform on the example of Alibaba and DHgate. CITISE, 2020, no. 3, pp.353-362. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2020.3.31