N. Dubiv, G. Nelaeva, I. Solovyova
SECOND FOREIGN LANGUAGE TEACHER TRAINING: GERMAN AS THE FIRST SECOND LANGUAGE
Nadezhda V. Dubiv – PhD in Pedagogics, Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics, Head of Georg Wilhelm Center, Tyumen State University (Russia, Tyumen), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Galina A. Nelaeva – PhD in Political Science, Professor, Department of Modern History and World Politics, Institute of Social Sciences and Humanities, Tyumen State University (Russia, Tyumen), E-mail: email@example.com
Inna V. Solovyova – PhD in Philology, Associate Professor, Head of German Philology Department, Institute of Social Sciences and Humanities, Tyumen State University (Russia, Tyumen), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract. With the introduction in 2015 of the second foreign language (FL2) as a mandatory subject in Russian schools, the need to train the teachers became apparent. In Russia’s regional centers, outside of big cities like Moscow and St-Petersburg, Universities often became the venues where teacher training programs were developed and offered to high school teachers. The article examines teacher training programs for German language high school teachers organized in 2016-2018 at Tyumen State University under the auspices of Goethe Institute Moscow. By conducting questionnaires and in-depth interviews, we seek to explore how exactly such programs are organized and run, and how they are viewed by the participants. We hope to contribute to the debate on the specifics of FL2 instruction in Russia as well as problems and prospects of teacher training programs.
Key words: German as a second language, Goethe Institute, teacher training.
- Arefyev A.L. Izuchenie nemeckogo yazyka molodezh’ju Rossii [German language learning by young people in Russia]. Demoscope Weekly, 441 – 442, 1 – 14, 2010. . [Electronic resource] – URL: http://www.demoscope.ru/weekly/2010/0441/analit04.php (date of the application 03.03.2019).
- Astronomy Classes to Replace Extra Language Lessons in New Russian Schools Proposals. // The Moscow Times. October 05, 2016. [Electronic resource] –URL: https://themoscowtimes.com/news/astronomy-to-replace-second-foreign-language-study-in-russian-schools-55607 (date of the application 03.03.2019).
- Chankseliani, M. Reflections on student mobility from Russia, Eastern Europe, Caucasus, and Central Asia: Macro- and meso-level analyses. Presentation. 21 September 2017. Department of Education, University of Oxford. [Electronic resource] URL:https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Maia_Chankseliani (date of the application 03.03.2019).
- Cummins, J. & Davison, C. International Handbook of English Language Teaching. Part I. Springer International Handbooks of Education, 2017. 283 P.
- Feryok, A. & Oranje, J. Adopting a Cultural Portfolio Project in Teaching German as a Foreign Language: Language Teacher Cognition as a Dynamic System // The Modern Language Journal, 99 (5), 546-564, 2015.
- Gabryś-Barker, D. Reflectivity in pre-service teacher education. A survey of theory and practice. Katowice: University of Silesia Press, 2012. 270 P.
- Germany International Student Statistics 2018. . [Electronic resource] – URL: https://www.studying-in-germany.org/germany-international-student-statistics-2018/ (date of the application 03.03.2019).
- Gong, Y., Lyu, B. & Gao, X. Research on Teaching Chinese as a Second or Foreign Language in and Outside Mainland China: A Bibliometric Analysis // Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 27(4), 2018. P. 277–289.
- Johnson, K. E. Second language teacher education: A sociocultural perspective. New York: Routledge, 2009.
- Maaß, K-J. (ed.) Kultur und Außenpolitik. Handbuch für Studium und Praxis. Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen. 3. Aufl. Baden-Baden: Nomos, 2015.
- Little, D. Learner autonomy and second/foreign language learning. Center for Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies, 2012. URL: https://www.llas.ac.uk/resources/gpg/1409 (date of the application 03.03.2019).
- Official Tyumen Region Web-site. . [Electronic resource] – URL: http://www.tyumen-region.ru/ved/cooperation/international/de/ (дата обращения03.2019).
- Potocka, D. Second Language Teacher Education: Shifting Paradigms and Future Challenges. In M. Pawlak (ed.), Extending the Boundaries of Research on Second Language Learning and Teaching, 2011. P.169-179.
- Reinhardt, J., Warner, C., & Lange, K. Digital games as practices and texts: New literacies and genres in an L2 German classroom. In J. Pettes-Guikema & L. Williams (eds.), Digital literacies in foreign and second language education. San Marcos, TX: Calico, 2014. P. 159-177.
- Singer, O. Auswärtige Kulturpolitik in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Koneptionelle Grundlagen und Entwicklung seit 1945. Wissenschaftliche Dienste des Deutschen Bundestages 22.09.2003. URL: http://webarchiv.bundestag.de/archive/2008/0506/wissen/analysen/2003/2003_12_22_kultur.pdf (date of the application 03.03.2019).
- Tyumen State University Press Release: Project “German as the First Second Language Continues”. 12 February . [Electronic resource] – URL: https://www.utmn.ru/presse/novosti/obshchestvo-i-kultura/494760 (date of the application 03.03.2019).
- Vetter, E. Educating Teachers—Reflectivity Through a Polish-Austrian Lens. In Gałajda, D., Zakrajewski P. & Pawlak, M. (eds.), Researching Second Language Learning and Teaching from a Psycholinguistic Perspective, Second Language Learning and Teaching, Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2016. P. 259-272.
- Warner, C. & Dupuy, B. Moving toward multiliteracies in foreign language teaching: Past and present perspectives … and beyond // Foreign Language Annals, 51, 2018. P. 116–128.
- Wiley, T. G. Language Policy and Teacher Education. In S. May, S. & Hornberger, N.H. (eds), Encyclopedia of Language and Education, 2nd Edition,
Volume 1: Language Policy and Political Issues in Education, 2008. P. 229–241.
- Young, S.S.C. Integrating ICT into second language education in a vocational high school // Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 19, 2003. P. 447-461.
- Ziegler, G. Multilingualism and the language education landscape: challenges for teacher training in Europe // Multilingual Education, 3 (1), 2013. [Electronic resource] – URL: http://www.multilingual-education.com/content/3/1/1 (date of the application 03.03.2019).