THE IMPACT OF POLITICAL DIALOGUE ON TRADE AND ECONOMIC RELATIONS BETWEEN FRANCE AND CHINA
Kovtun O.I.1 (Novosibirsk, Russian Federation) – firstname.lastname@example.org
1Novosibirsk State University of Economics and Management
Abstract. A feature of this article is the interdisciplinary connection between the influence of political dialogue and diplomatic contacts between France and China on the logic of trade and economic relations and mutual investment interests of both countries in the 21st century. The article examines the stages and important milestones in the development of relations between France and China in historical logic, highlighting the growth zones and periods of chilling relations. The author pays attention to the conceptual understanding of France’s interest in the development of trade and economic relations and investment cooperation with China, despite many problems and fears of “Chinese hegemony” in French society, competition for economic interests in Africa between the countries etc. The article deals with the problems faced by French business and investors in China and those factors that negatively affect French-Chinese relations. It is important to note that in France, public opinion towards China is very ambiguous and divided into two polar camps of the French political and business elite. Among them are adherents of close ties and strategic partnership with the cеlestial Empire and French “alarmists” who fear a significant economic rise in China and a global reorganization of the world economic order in this regard. France, being a pioneer in establishing diplomatic, strategic and economic ties with China among the EU countries, views these relations through the prism and investment interests of integration ties and strengthening its role and position within the EU. And China develops its economic ties, taking into account, first of all, its own economic interests and does not always use the arsenal of economic policy tools for the benefit of its foreign policy and economic partners, and France is by no means an exception to this rule.
Keywords: France, China, trade and economic relations, investment policy, foreign direct investment, political dialogue, French alarmists, the threat of “Chinese hegemony”.
- Vinogradov A.O., Lushchik M.O. On the history of the formation of China-EU relations. China in the world regional policy. History and modernity, 2017, vol. 22, no. 22, pp. 352-368. (In Russian). EDN: ZNLMFX, DOI: 10.24411/9785-0324-2017-00023
- Guseletov B.P. Relations between the European Union and China at the present stage. Scientific and Analytical Bulletin of the Institute of Europe of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Series Political sciences, 2018, no. 100, pp. 143-149. (In Russian). EDN: FBFJYQ, DOI: 10.1521/eufacts22020143149
- Ershov V.V., Ashmarina E.M., Kornev V.N. Economic law: a comparative legal analysis of Germany, France, China and Russia. State and Law, 2014, no. 9, pp. 53-64. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=22014776
- Zhdanova Yu.D., Istomin I.A. EU reaction to the economic rise of China. Bulletin of MGIMO University, 2017, no. 5 (56), pp. 91-113. (In Russian). EDN: ZTWOWH, DOI: 10.24833/2071-8160-2017-5-56-91-113
- Korolev N.V., Han S. Conditions for the success of the Chinese investment model. Bulletin of the University, 2018, no. 6, pp. 129-135. (In Russian). EDN: XUEEFF, DOI: 10.26425/1816-4277-2018-6-129-135
- Narbut A.N. Scientific and technical cooperation between China and France at the present stage. Bulletin of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia. Series International relations, 2013, no. 1, pp. 84-97. (In Russian).URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18852821
- Nikulina O.V. Experience in attracting foreign investment. Financial magazine, 2014, no. 3. pp. 167-175. (In Russian).
- Oleinikov I.V., Chugunova N.V. Franco-Chinese partnership: the results of the state visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to France in 2014. Bulletin of the Irkutsk State University, 2017, vol. 21, pp. 49-55. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29809897
- Pakulin V.S. Investment projects of the People’s Republic of China in the countries of the European Mediterranean within the framework of the project “One belt – one way”. Bulletin of the Tomsk State University. Story, 2021, no. 70, pp. 96-103. (In Russian). EDN: RXAAWK, DOI: 10.17223/19988613/70/14
- Potapov D.A. Cooperation between the European Union and China in the field of foreign direct investment in the context of China’s Belt and Road initiative. Analysis and forecast, Journal of IMEMO RAS, 2020, no. 4, pp. 76-93. (In Russian). EDN: LSDUQW, DOI: 10.20542/afij-2020-4-6-93
- Timofeev O.A. Structure and development model of the Sino-French partnership: lessons and opportunities for Russia. China in world and regional politics. History and modernity, 2016, vol. 21, no. 21, pp. 189-200. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=26704859
- Filippov V.R. Paris vs. Beijing: Confrontation on the African Continent // Bulletin of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia. Series: International relations, 2020, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 84-96. (In Russian). EDN: RZHAFE, DOI: 10.22363/2313-0660-2020-20-1-84-96
- Chikhaev A. From fears to ambitions: French approach to China. Available at: https://russiancouncil.ru/analytics-and-comments/analytics/ot-opaseniy-do-ambitsiy-frantsuzskiy-podkhod-k-kitayu/ (accessed 01 December 2023)
- Françoise N. Chinese Direct Investments in France: No French Exception, No Chinese Challenge. London, Chatham house Publ., 2010. 53 p.
- Inotai A. Economic relations between the European Union and China. L’Europe en Formation, 2013, vol. 4, pp. 216. DOI:10.3917/eufor.370.0047
For citation: Kovtun O.I. The impact of political dialogue on trade and economic relations between France and China. CITISE, 2023, no. 1, pp. 214-230. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2023.1.18