METAPHOR TRANSLATION TECHNOLOGIES IN PEDAGOGICAL THEORY AND PRACTICE
Abaeva F.B.1 (Vladikavkaz, Russian Federation) – E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1North Ossetian State University named after K.L. Khetagurov
Abstract. The article is devoted to the study of the technology of translation of metaphor in pedagogical theory and practice, the analysis of various approaches to the definition of the concept of “metaphor” as a means of lexical expressiveness and an important element of speech culture. The article presents various classification features of metaphor according to the method of conceptualizing phenomena and objects of objective reality, in accordance with which structural, orientational and ontological metaphors are distinguished. For a detailed description of the technology of translation of a metaphor, the author of the article refers to the most famous theories of translation developed by authoritative scholars and translators – V.N. Komissarov, Ya. I. Rezker, P. Newmark. Based on a deep analysis of numerous sources on the indicated problem, as well as his own experience, the author proves the thesis that a competent translator produces the same effect on the reader of the translated text as the reader of the original of the same text in a foreign language received, and also recreates it in the content of the text. translating exactly the same amount of meaning using the resources of syntactic and semantic constructs, which was given by the context in a foreign language. One of the most important directions in the theory of translation of metaphors, the author considers the definition of optimal translation technologies used for various types of metaphors.
Keywords: metaphor, structural metaphors, orientational metaphors, ontological metaphors, translation of a metaphor, translation practice, translation theory.
- Almaz D.Yu. Metaphors translation methods in technical texts. Bulletin of Science and Education, 2019, no. 24-3 (78), pp. 43-45. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=41572258
- Boeva E. D., Kulkina E. A. Methods for translating the author’s metaphor in a literary text. Philological sciences. Questions of theory and practice, 2014, no. 4-3 (34), pp. 41-44. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=21309135
- Ermolenko G.A. Culture and epistemological potential of metaphor. Humanities and socio-economic sciences, 2006, no. 6 (25), pp. 3-6. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=12159125
- Kan S.I., Ulitina S.G. Methods for translating onomastic metaphor in artistic discourse. Russistics without bordersn, 2021, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 107-112. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=46395978
- Kashkina A.V. Poetry, translation and teaching (based on the material of the final student works on the special course “poetry translation”). Bulletin of the Voronezh State University. Series: Linguistics and Intercultural Communication, 2016, no. 2, pp. 112-118. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=26124766
- Komissarov V.N. Translation theory (linguistic aspects): Textbook for faculties of foreign languages. Moscow, Graduate School Publ., 1990. 253 p. (In Russian). URL: https://studfile.net/preview/2063337/
- Kotova E.G., Lineva E.A., Poddubskaya O.N. Methods for translating a linguoculturological metaphor. Kazanskaya nauka, 2018, no. 11, pp. 135-137. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36667061
- Lakoff J, Johnson M. The Metaphors We Live By. Moscow, Editorial URSS Publ., 2004, 35 p. (In Russian).
- Litvin I.N. The problem of cultural information in translation studies. Language. Text. Discourse, 2012, no. 10, pp. 133-139. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=21188114
- Minchenkov A.G. Stages of the translation process and operational errors. Translation and comparative linguistics, 2015, no. 11, pp. 17-20. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=28101429
- Plotnikov I.V. Metaphorical transformations in the process of linguo-cognitive translation. Bulletin of the Pyatigorsk State University, 2018, no. 2, pp. 185-189. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36507526
- Retsker Ya.I. Translation theory and translation practice. Moscow, R.Valent Publ., 2010, 240 p.
- Rofieva G.Yu. Cognitive-semantic classification of metaphors. Bulletin of Science and Education, 2020, no. 2-3 (80), pp. 24-29. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=42362305
- Sultanova R.M. Problems of transferring stylistic devices in translation // Bulletin of the Tajik National University. A series of philological sciences, 2018, no. 2, pp. 88-93. (In Russian). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=35585831
- Filatov K.S. Metaphor as a way to unfold a journalistic text. Dissertation Cand. Phil. sciences. SPb., 2015, 182 p. (In Russian).
- Newmark P. A Textbook of Translation. Harlow, Pearson Education Limited Publ., 2008, 292 p.
Abaeva F.B. Metaphor translation technologies in pedagogical theory and practice. CITISE, 2021, no. 4, pp.88-94. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2021.4.09