PHENOMENON OF STIGMATIZATION OF YOUNG SCHOOL AGE CHILDREN WITH DISABLED HEALTH OPPORTUNITIES
Fomina O.E.1 (Murom, Russian Federation) – E-mail: email@example.com
1Vladimir State University
Abstract. The article presents an analysis of the problem of stigmatization of disabled children of primary school age attending a children’s rehabilitation center for children and adolescents with disabilities. The article describes the mechanism of psychological and pedagogical research aimed at identifying the attitude of normative children to their peers with disabilities, as well as the attitude of parents of healthy children of primary school age to children with disabilities. The study examined the factors influencing the stigmatization of children with disabilities. The scientific novelty and theoretical significance of the work lies in the development of a mechanism for studying the phenomenon of stigmatization of disabled children by healthy peers. The practical significance of the study is the data obtained during the diagnostic study of stigmatization of primary school children with disabilities, which can be used by specialists in correctional and rehabilitation work in children’s rehabilitation centers for children and adolescents, correctional educational institutions, educational institutions, psychologists, teachers and social workers. as well as parents of children with disabilities. The study allowed the author to suggest that it is impossible to change the situation of stigmatization of people with disabilities only by the legislative introduction of compulsory inclusive education. The country needs purposeful complex psychological and pedagogical work both with the parents of a child with disabilities, since they form his further perception of himself and help him build his behavior in society, and with the parents of normative children, informing them about who the children with disabilities are, what features they have, and how to communicate with them correctly. It is necessary to form a positive image of children with disabilities among classmates and teachers, teaching them to carefully interact with a child with disabilities.
Keywords: disabled people, disabled children, stigma, tolerance, education, upbringing, sociological research.
- Brazevich S.S., Sidorova A.Yu. Disability: problems of overcoming stigmatization and the formation of tolerant consciousness. Modern problems of science and education, 2013, vol. 1, pp. 461-470. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18829410
- Voevodina E.V. “Disabled” as a social stigma and a space for discussion. Bulletin of the Moscow State Humanitarian and Economic Institute, 2014, no. 4 (20), pp. 10-15. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23692537
- Voevodina E.V. Gender aspects of disability and social exclusion of disabled people at the level of the institution of the family. Bulletin of the Educational and Methodological Association of Russian universities on education in the field of social work, 2013, no. 1, pp. 110-116. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=24100446
- Goffman E. Stigma: Notes on the Management of the Spoiled Identity. New Jersey, Prentice-Hall Publ., 1963. 147 pp.
- Detochenko L.S. The role of the family in the socialization of disabled people: according to the results of empirical research. Bulletin of the South Russian State Technical University. Series: Socio-economic sciences, 2020. vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 42-52. (In Russian) DOI:https://doi.org/10.17213/2075-2067-2020-5-42-52
- Detochenko L.S. The role of the family in the socialization of disabled people: according to the results of empirical research. Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology, 2020, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 87-103. DOI: https://doi.org/10.31119/jssa.2020.23.2.4
- Dombrovskaya A.Yu. Types of social adaptation of people with disabilities (based on the materials of a sociological survey in the cities of Oryol and Kaluga). Locus: people, society, cultures, meanings, 2016, no. 2, pp. 89-100. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=26452115
- Kiselev M.I., Podolskaya O.B. Children’s disability in the light of label theories. National Association of Scientists, 2015, no. 2-7 (7), pp. 144-145. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29154050
- Kotov S.V., Stepanov O.V. Socio-cultural prerequisites and consequences of stigmatization of people with disabilities: the concept of “disabled” as stigma. Humanities, socio-economic and social sciences, 2017, no. 12, pp. 55-58. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32358977
- Lifanova T.E., Sycheva E.Yu. Sociological research of the attitude of young people to persons with disabilities. Discourse, 2019, no. 12 (38), pp. 134-145. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=42366743
- Mazunina N.A. Stigma as the main barrier of public consciousness on the way to social integration of persons with disabilities. Man. Society. Inclusion, 2015, no. 2 (22), pp. 158-163. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=24734153
- Nosenko-Stein E.E. Leaving the “ghetto”: the stigma of disability and attempts to overcome it. Bulletin of Anthropology, 2021, no. 1 (53), pp. 36-49. (In Russian) DOI: 10.33876/2311-0546/2021-53-1/36-49
- Reut M.N. Stigmatization – the process of separating individuals. Bulletin of TISBI. 2014, no. 2, pp. 19-25. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=22869341
- Selivanova Yu.V., Myasnikova L.V. Resource center as a modern model of psychological, pedagogical and social support for children with disabilities. Izvestiya Saratov University, 2015, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 90-93. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23798417
- Smirnova Yu. S., Vakulik A.M. Attitudes of adolescents towards disabled people. Questions of mental health of children and adolescents, 2017, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 41-49. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=30793524
- Тuran N.K. Features of self-esteem of adolescents with disabilities with different levels of somatic dysontogenesis. Azimuth of scientific research: pedagogy and psychology, 2017, vol. 6, no. 3 (20), pp. 347-352. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=30101900
- Filatova E.V. Socio-psychological barriers. Obstructing the social integration of disabled people into society. Advances in the Humanities, 2021, no. 1, pp. 76-79. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=44474619
- Crocker J., Major B. Social stigma and self-esteev: the self-protective properties of stigma. Psychological Review. 1989, vol. 96, pp. 608-630. URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=8781511
- Fomina O.E. Psychological and pedagogical support of disabled students in university educational area. International Conference on Research Paradigms Transformation in Social Sciences RPTSS 2017. The European Proceedings of Social & Behavioural Sciences EpSBS., Future Academy Publ., ISSN: 2357-1330 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2018.02.43
- Melvin L., DeFleur. Stigma: notes on the management of spoiler identity. By Erving Goffman. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1963. 147 p. Social Forces Publ., Volume 43, Issue 1, October 1964, pp. 127–128. URL: https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/43.1.127
- Yakren S. «Wrongful birth» claims and the paradox of parenting a child with a disability. Fordham Law Review, 2018, vol. 87(2), pp. 583-628.