E. Linkevich, E. Makarova
PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF TRADE RELATIONS OF RUSSIA WITH THE COUNTRIES OF THE EUROPEAN UNION
Elena F. Linkevich – Doctor of Economic Sciences, Professor of the Chair of World Economy and Management, Kuban State University, Krasnodar, Russian Federation, SPIN-code: 7961-4549, E-mail: email@example.com
Ekaterina Yu. Makarova – Student of the Chair of World Economy and Management, Kuban State University, Krasnodar, Russian Federation, SPIN-code: 8440-6859
Abstract. The European Union is the largest partner of Russian Federation. Trade cooperation between them is the crucial point for the successful interaction of the two sides. For a long time, partners in the field of trade, research, internal and external security, as well as the investment area have been closely cooperating. The foreign trade of Russia mostly falls on the EU. In turn, the EU countries are actively investing in the Russian Federation, being the largest direct investors for the Russian national economy. The purpose of this work is to conduct a study demonstrating the development of economic relations between Russia and the EU. To solve the tasks in the article, a set of mutually complementary research methods was used: economic and statistical research method, as well as a method of system analysis and forecasting. The article gives the history of the development of trade and economic relations between Russia and the European Union. The article also reveals the problems hindering the development of successful bilateral cooperation between Russia and the EU, as well as possible solutions to the problems posed. As a result of the study, the article concludes that the external challenges that impede the successful dialogue between Russia and the EU are political rather than economical. The authors conclude that geopolitical instability impedes the prosperity of trade and economic relations between partners. For this reason, there is a decrease in investment activity of the two parties, which leads to multimillion-dollar losses. The findings of the study can be used to develop new trading strategies for the EU.
Keywords: European Union, trade relations, foreign trade, sanctions, trade export / import, financial crisis, national economy, energy dialogue.
- Akayev A. A., Ziyadullaev N. S., Sarygulov A. I., Sokolov V. N. Medium-term forecast of the dynamics of the development of the Russian economy. Forecasting problems, 2016, no. 5 (158), pp. 37-46. (In Russian)
- Aleksandrov-Derkachenko P. А global Europe. Bulletin of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations, 2017, no. 2 (53), pp.266-274. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29671599
- Babynina L.O. The European Union in the search for a global role: politics, economics, security. Monograph. Federal state. Institute of Science, Institute of Science of Europe, Russian Acad. Sciences, 2015, 592 p. (In Russian)
- Vinokurova V.A. The effect of sanctions on the foreign trade activities of the European Union and the Russian Federation. International Journal of Humanities and Natural Sciences, 2018, no. 6-2, pp. 68-72. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=35261284
- Goncharova S. N., Abazieva K. G., Karablin O. V. Problems and prospects of the implementation of the import substitution strategy in Russia. Russia and the EU: development paths and prospects: materials of the international scientific-practical conference, November 17-18, 2016, Publishing and printing complex RGEU (RINH), 2016, 1019 p. (In Russian)
- Gromyko Al.A. Russia, USA, Small Europe (EU): Competition for Leadership in the World of Polycentricity. Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2016, 86, no. 2, pp. 108–119. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=25481573
- The European Union and Russia: close neighbors, players on the world stage, strategic partners. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 2007. (In Russian)
- Igumnova L. O., Lekarenko O. G., Agafonov Iu. G. and others. Foreign Policy and International Affairs of the European Union: Comprehending the Role of the EU in the World, Irkutsk, Publishing House Ottisk, 2018, 340 p. (In Russian)
- Kashtakova E., Baumgartner B., Zhatko M. Influence of the Russian embargo on trade in agri-food products between Russia and the EU: analysis of individual indicators. Bulletin of international organizations: education, science, new economy, 2018, no. 4, pp. 256-271. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=39137251
- Klinova M. Sidorova E. Economic sanctions and their impact on economic relations between Russia and the European Union. Economic Issues, 2014, no. 12, pp. 67-79. (In Russian) URL: : https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=22619838
- Pashkovskaya I.G. Energy supply of the European Union: eastern direction. Moscow, Navona Publ., 2010, 248 p. (In Russian) URL: https://mgimo.ru/library/publications/160147/
- Pashkovskaya I.G. The energy policy of the European Union in relation to Russia and the newly independent states. Monograph. Moscow, Prospect, 2010, 168 p. (In Russian) URL: https://mgimo.ru/upload/iblock/8af/pashkovskaya.pdf
- The policy of sanctions: goals, strategies, tools. Russian Council on International Affairs (INF). Moscow. INF, 2018, 280 p. (In Russian)
- The full text of the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement.
- Sidorova E.A. European Union (co-authored with A.A. Gabarta). Prospects for Economic Globalization. Monograph. Moscow, KNORUS, 2019, 666 p. (In Russian)
- Sidorova E. A. Problems of increasing the competitiveness of the Russian economy. Russian Foreign Economic Bulletin, 2007, no. 6, pp. 36-45. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=13122150
- Tkachenko S.L. Foreign policy of the European Union. Review of the monograph “The European Union in Global Economic Management” (ed. Ed. M. Strezhnev). Bulletin of international organizations: education, science, new economy, 2017, no. 4, pp. 232-235. (In Russian) URL:https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32393165
- Tkhamokova S.M. The economic situation of Russia in 2019. AVU, 2018, no.12 (179), pp.13-14. (In Russian)URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=37139382
- Filatov V.V., Dorofeev A. Yu. Palastina I.P., Polozhentseva I.V., Tsarev A.A. Economics of Russia and the Eurozone: current status and development prospects. Bulletin of Eurasian Science, 2015, no. 2 (27). (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=24104429
- Frenkel A.A., Sergienko Ya. V., Tikhomirov B.I., Surkov A.A. Russian economy in 2017-2019: the prerequisites for a breakthrough have not yet been created. Economic Policy, 2018, no. 5, pp.24-49. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36334384
- Economic sanctions against Russia: expectations and reality. Monograph. Collective of authors, under the editorship of R.M. Nureyev, Moscow, KNORUS, 2017, 194 p.
- Yanova E.A., Kudryavtseva A.A., Mikhalevsky D.A. Aspects of imposing sanctions against Russia: basic concepts, causes, consequences. Science yesterday, today, tomorrow: Sat. Art. by mater. XXXI Int. scientific-practical conf. Novosibirsk, SibAK, 2016, no. 2 (24). (In Russian)
Linkevich E.F., Makarova E. Yu. Problems and prospects for the development of trade relations of Russia with the countries of the European Union. CITISE, 2019, no. 4, pp. 327-341. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/24097616.2019.4.32