Shukshina L.V., Cojuhari E.V.
HARDINESS AND SELF-ESTEEM AS PREDICTORS OF ACHIEVEMENT MOTIVATION AMONG STUDENTS
Shukshina L.V.1 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – E-mail: email@example.com, Cojuhari E.V.1 (Moscow, Russian Federation) – E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1Plekhanov Russian University of Economics
Abstract. The effectiveness of students’ activity is determined not only by their knowledge, skills, and abilities, but also by such important personal qualities as self-esteem, hardiness, and motivation to achieve success. The article provides data from an empirical study of these characteristics among modern students. The aim of the research is to study self-esteem and resilience as predictors of students’ success motivation. Methodology. Participants: 117 students from universities of Moscow, Riga, and Chisinau (90 women and 27 men) aged 17 to 38 years (M = 20.7; SD = 2.67). Methods: M. Rosenberg’s self-esteem scale, S. Maddy’s hardiness test (E. Osin – E. Rasskazova’s version), T. Ehlers’ test for motivation to achieve success; correlation, comparative analysis. The results of the study showed that there are statistically significant differences in the level of self-esteem, resilience (and its components), as well as the motivation for achieving success among (1) non-working students, (2) students who work outside their specialty, and (3) students who started their professional activities: all the studied indicators are higher among the latter. Statistically significant correlations were revealed between self-esteem, hardiness (and its components) and motivation to achieve success among students. The practical significance of the study lies in the fact that its implementation will allow in the future to develop tools to increase the level of students’ hardiness, motivation for achievement and self-esteem, including through their involvement in professional activities during their university study. Scientific novelty lies in conducting one’s own empirical research on the given topic.
Keywords: self-esteem, hardiness, commitment, control, challenge, motivation for success.
- Gordeeva T.O. Sources of optimistic thinking and wellbeing of adolescents. Questions of psychology, 2018, no. 5, pp. 13-22. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36735669
- Ershova I.A., Permyakova M.E., Sadkina T.M. The relationship of resilience with self-esteem and coping strategies in adolescent boys and girls. Pedagogical education in Russia, 2019, no. 4, pp. 133-140. (In Russian) DOI: https://doi.org/10.26170/po19-04-18
- Zhienbaeva N.B., Aknazarov S.A., Tapalova O.B. Study of the direction of achievement motivation (adaptation and transcendence) in mental pathology. Clinical and Special Psychology, 2017, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 62-84. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?Id=30383835
- Zvereva R.G. The development of motivation to achieve success as a condition for the formation of the competitiveness of the student’s personality. Family and personality: problems of interaction, 2018, no. 10, pp. P. 30-37. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?Id=35591059
- Kiryukhina A.A., Shukshina L.V. The influence of social networks on the psychological characteristics of modern youth. Saransk, Afanasyev V.S. Publ., 2020, pp. 15. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?Id=42844396
- Kuasheva E.R. Viability and value-semantic preferences of the individual: consistency and contradictions (on the material of employees of the internal affairs bodies). Bulletin of the Adyghe State University. Ser. 3. Pedagogy and psychology, 2011, no. 3, pp. 173-178. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17080246
- Leontiev D.A. Osin E.N. Brief Russian-language scales for the diagnosis of subjective well-being: psychometric characteristics and comparative analysis. Monitoring of public opinion: economic and social changes, 2020, no. 1 (155), pp. 117-142. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?Id=42561431
- Loginova I.O., Serdyuk T.I., Zhivaeva Yu.V. Investigation of the relationship between the nature of achievement motivation and the indicators of vitality among medical students. Modern problems of science and education, 2015, no. 1-1, pp. 1552. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=25325298
- Molchanova L.N. Resilience as a factor of resistance to mental burnout of representatives of extreme professions. Clinical and medical psychology: research, training, practice, 2015, no. 4 (10), pp. 2. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36754967
- Osin E.N., Rasskazova E.I. A short version of the vitality test: psychometric characteristics and application in an organizational context. Moscow University Bulletin. Series No.
- Psychology, 2013, no. 2, pp. 147-165. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=19136069Putilova O.V., Vindeker O.S., Likhoded A.A. Age features of self-actualization and resilience in women. News of the Ural Federal University. Series 1: Problems of Education, Science and Culture, 2018, vol. 24, no. 1 (171), pp. 104-113. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32741898
- Tapalova O.B., Zhaparov E.Zh. The influence of anxious and depressive states on the educational activity of students. Bulletin of the East Siberian Open Academy, 2020, no. 36, pp. 7. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?Id=42362209
- Heckhausen H. Psychology of achievement motivation. St. Petersburg, Rech Publ., 2001, 238 p. (In Russian) ISBN 5-9268-0048-X
- Chirkov V.I. Self-determination and internal motivation of human behavior.Questions of psychology, 1996, no. 3, pp. 116-132. (In Russian)
- Shilmanskaya AE, Leontiev DA Life position of the individual: from theory to operationalization. Questions of psychology, 2019, no. 1. pp. 90-100. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?Id=38096358
- Shukshina L.V., Vasyakin B.S., Koretskaya I.A., Bazhhanova Yu.V. Value-semantic attitudes as a factor in the formation of tolerant ethnic consciousness in the multicultural sphere of the university. Modern studies of social problems (electronic scientific journal), 2017, vol. 8, no. 12- 2, pp. 356-365. (In Russian) URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?Id=32246010
- Rostovskaya T.K., Maksimova A.S., Mekeko N.M., Fomina S.N. Barriers to students’ academic mobility in Russia. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 2020, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1218-1227. URL:https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=43264131
- Tapalova O., Burlachuk L., Zhiyenbayeva N., Aknazarov S. Research of achievement motivation in neurotic, stress-related and somatoform disorders. Bulletin of Science and Practice, 2017, no. 11 (24), pp. 502-514. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?Id=30557337
Shukshina L.V., Cojuhari E.V. Hardiness and self-esteem as predictors of achievement motivation among students. CITISE, 2021, no. 1, pp.462-477. DOI:http://doi.org/10.15350/2409-7616.2021.1.42