PRO BONO AS A SOCIO-CULTURAL PRACTICE OF PUBLIC SERVICE OF QUALIFIED VOLUNTEERS
Zulfiya A. Troska – Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor, Basic chair of Chamber of Commerce of Russia “Development of Human Capital” Plekhanov Russian University of Economics, Moscow, Russian Federation, SPIN-код: 4869-9983, ORCID: 0000-0002-8038-0677, E-mail: email@example.com
Abstract. The article discusses the concept of Pro bono as a socio-cultural practice of public service of qualified volunteers. Highlighting the specific characteristics of Pro bono volunteering in comparison with traditional types of volunteering, the author classifies Pro bono as a kind of intellectual volunteering of citizens. The author referring to modern practitioners, identifies Pro bono as providing qualified assistance and professional support to charitable and other non-profit organizations, as well as to private individuals free of charge who are not able to pay for similar services (legal, accounting, financial services, etc.). A special place in the study of Pro Bono is occupied by the legal community, which was one of the first to practice the provision of professional services to those in need for free. The author identifies international and domestic trends in the development of professional volunteering, conducts a historical excursion and highlights the types of modern Pro bono volunteering that affect the formation of the socio-cultural practice of public service. This analysis allows us to highlight modern factors of the effectiveness of Pro bono, such as: professionalism of voluntary specialists, their orientation in organizing systemic work within a specific spectrum of problems and in the form of specialized assistance; the relevance in society of the information and consulting assistance provided, its social recognition in society; the long-term nature of the consulting services provided by volunteer specialists, their professional and personal-emotional interest in the final result of the work; the speed of updating the information provided by volunteers, reacting as quickly as possible to changes associated with resolving the list of issues on which professional assistance is provided (for example, updating on-line libraries, responding to changes in labor legislation, introducing new forms of educational training, etc.).
Keywords: Pro Bono, volunteering, charity work, Professional assistance, volunteers, intellectual volunteering.
- Anisimov V.F., Akinina N. Yu. The role of the lawyer community in free legal aid. Law practice, 2013, no. 3, pp. 2-5. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=19075151
- Barzilova Yu.V. To the issue of Providing free legal assistance in the Saratov region. Eurasian Bar, 2013, no. 3 (4), pp. 39-41. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=19059419
- Bugarenko A.I. To the question of the history of rights to free legal aid in Russia. Law practice, 2011, no. 1, pp. 43-47. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=15616026
- Galchenko S.A. Pro bono driver of corporate volunteering development in the region. Issues of Economics and Law, 2018, no. 122, pp. 121-125. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36979930
- Gorlova N.I. To the question of the history of public participation in voluntary service (Pro bono practice). Professionalism and creativity in social work: Sat. scientific Art. Moscow. “PERSPECTIVE” Publ., 2017, pp. 44-48. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=28992549
- Gorlova N.I. Formation and development of the volunteer institute in Russia: history and modernity. Heritage Institute Publ., 2019, 289 p. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=37204328
- Report of the State Chamber on the status and development of public organizations in the Rostov region in 2015. Rostov-on-Don, 2015. Available at: http://op-ro.donland.ru/Data/Sites/212/media/dataofthePublicChamberoftheRostovRegion2015forsending.pdf (accessed 1 September 2019). (In Russian)
- Kazun A. Social responsibility of Russian lawyers: factors of free legal assistance for their intended purpose and on a voluntary basis. Journal of Social Policy Studies, 2015, no. 4, pp. 563-578. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=25778810
- Lapidus A. Ye., Suchkova M. A. Social responsibility of a lawyer. New Lawyer Newspaper, 2008, no. 8 (025), no. 9 (026). (In Russian)
- Medzhidova A.M., Sidelnikova K.N. Prospects for implementing the practice of “Pro bono” in Russia. Actual Problems of the humanities and natural sciences, 2017, o. 5-2, pp. 24-27. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29027664
- Minin N.O., Shved V.V., Simanovich L.N. Pro bono publico: testing international experience in the Russian Federation. In the collection: Economics. Education. Right. Collection of scientific papers on the materials of the II Annual International Scientific and Practical Conference., 2017, pp. 442-445. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32699901
- Pevnaya M. V. Professional volunteering in social work: meanings and practices. Assisting Professions: scientific justification and innovative technologies. N. IISC Publ., 2016, 865 p. (In Russian)
- Ragulin A.V., Ragulin I.T. The first Russian forum Pro bono. Eurasian Bar, 2016, no. 2 (21), pp. 14-15. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=30095844
- Reshetnikov O.V. Professionalization as a Process of primary inclusion of youth in labor relations. Moscow. Research Institute of School Technologies Publ., 2013, no. 5, pp. 152-168. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=20687331
- Ryabtseva E. “Pro bono” as a direction of the Russian advocacy: Russian experience. Eurasian advocacy, 2015, no. 14 (1), pp. 18-21. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23143544
- Ryabtseva E. V. “Pro bono” as the direction of the bar: the Russian experience. Eurasian Bar, 2015, no. 1 (14), pp. 18-21. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23143544
- Sergeeva I.D., Isaeva M.A. Pro bono in legal education in Russia. Law, 2012, no. 11, pp. 79-86. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18189598
- Sergeeva Yu. Charitable translation – a new direction of Pro bono! In the collection. Cosine Pi Materials of the II International Scientific and Practical Conference as part of the competition of translators, 2018, pp. 136-139. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36892177
- Khodykina I.A. Volunteering “Pro bono” as a tool for PR-Promotion of the company. Modern discourse analysis, 2018, no. 3-3 (20), pp. 106-108. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36297519
- Yaroshenko Yu.O., Zubarev A.A. Free delivery in the Russian Federation. CRNS, 2018, no.1, pp. 156-158. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=32602043
- Abdelkader O. A. Significant concerns influence online Pro bono volunteering of faculty members. Computers in Human Behavior, 2017, vol. 73, pp. 547-553. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.03.072
- Black J. D. et al. Grand Rounds: A Method for ImProving Student Learning and Client Care Continuity in a Student-Run Physical Therapy Pro Bono Clinic. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2017, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 68-88. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14434/v17i3.21158
- Burbano V. C., Mamer J., Snyder J. Pro bono as a human capital learning and screening mechanism: Evidence from law firms. Strategic Management Journal, 2018, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 2899-2920. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2947
- Chaifetz J. The Value of Public Service: A Model for Instilling a Pro Bono Ethic in Law School. L. Rev, 1992, vol. 45, pp. 1695-1710.
- Finnan J. Pro Bono-What’s in It for Students. Int’l J. Clinical Legal Educ, 2016, vol.. 23, P. 168.
- Lardent E. F. Manatory Pro Bono in Civil Cases: The Wrong Answer to the Right Question. L. Rev, 1990, vol. 49, pp. 78-83.
- Linovski O. Pro bono practices and government agencies. Journal of the American Planning Association, 2017, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 180-182. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/07352166.2018.1562303
- McKeown P. Pro Bono: What’s in it for law students? The students’ perspective. International Journal of Clinical Legal Education, 2017, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 43-80. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.19164/ijcle.v24i2.597
- Pietraszkiewicz A., Soppe B., Formanowicz M. Go Pro bono. Social Psychology, 2017, vol. 48, pp. 265-278. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1027/1864-9335/a000319
- Porretta D. et al. Influence that service in a Pro bono clinic has on a first full-time physical therapy clinical education experience. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice, 2017, vol. 15, no. 1, p. 11.
Troska Z.A. Pro bono as a socio-cultural practice of public service of qualified volunteers. CITISE, 2019, no. 5, pp. 47-57. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/24097616.2019.5.04