O. Kovtun, E. Angelskaya
INSTITUTIONAL APPROACH IN WORLD TRADE: THE ROLE AND IMPORTANCE OF INFORMAL INSTITUTES
Olga I. Kovtun – PhD in History, Associate Professor, Department of Economic Theory, Novosibirsk State University of Economics and Management, Novosibirsk, Russian Federation, SPIN: 7161-9105, E-mail: email@example.com
Ekaterina A. Angelskaya – Master student of the faculty of the public sector, Novosibirsk State University of Economics and Management, Novosibirsk, Russian Federation, E-mail: katalina1995@yandex
Abstract. The authors reviewed the basic categories and methodological principles of institutional analysis in relation to world trade. The influence of such informal institutions as business reputation, opportunistic behavior and differences in mentality as factors contributing to or complicating the development of new markets by companies for their products in different regions of the world and making deals with new foreign partners is investigated. Concrete recommendations are offered on how to reduce campaign transaction costs associated with the functioning of informal institutions, for example, the Chinese company Huawei, the Nestle campaign, and others. The authors examined the informal institutions activities on an example that describes the influence of reputational mechanisms on changing a company’s position in the TNC hierarchy if the United States imposes sanctions on the Chinese telecommunications equipment manufacturer Huawei. The opportunistic behavior of the campaigns and its impact on transaction costs were studied as an example of several Chinese food campaigns in connection with the “melanin scandal”. And the influence of the mentality of the nation on the transaction costs of the campaign related to the development of new sales markets was studied on the example of the activities of the Swiss Nestle campaign during the conflict with the Gerber brand baby food in the Ethiopian market.
Keywords: business reputation of a company, opportunistic behavior of economic agents, mentality, informal institutions.
- Gartner Says Global Smartphone Sales Stalled in the Fourth Quarter of 2018. Available at: https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2019-02-21-gartner-says- global-smartphone-sales-stalled-in-the-fourth-quart (accessed: 06/30/2019)
- Volovik N.A. Business reputation as a factor in increasing the effectiveness of the campaign. International Journal of Humanities and Natural Sciences, 2017, no. 5, pp. 96-98. (In Russian)URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29384970
- Civil Code of the Russian Federation. Available at: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_5142/f9498350007fc6def03006086be05e29c6f32397/(accessed: 06/30/2019) (In Russian)
- Grigoryan E.S. Business reputation as a factor in the sustainable development of an enterprise. XXI Century: results of the past and problems of the present, 2015, no. 2, issue 1 (23), pp. 251-256. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23278349
- Degtyareva S.V. The study of mentality in the institutional structure of the national economy. Bulletin of Omsk University. Series “Economics”, 2016, no. 1, pp. 27-37. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=26084071
- Kovtun OI, Tannagasheva RI. Analysis of the types of opportunistic behavior and ways to prevent it. Problems of economic science and practice. Novosibirsk, 2015, pp. 81-88.
- Kozlova E.V. Economic mechanisms for identifying and restricting opportunistic behavior in Russian corporations. Bulletin of Chelyabinsk State University, 2012, no. 10 (264), pp. 117-121. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17734794
- Conflict of the USA and Huawei – chronology and causes. Available at: https://habr.com/en/post/453084 (accessed: 06/14/2019) (In Russian)
- The global market for luxury goods will grow at the expense of China. Available at: https://www.sostav.ru/publication/mirovoj-rynok-tovarov-klassa-lyuks-vyrastet-za-schet-kitaya-37608 .html (accessed 06/18/2019) (In Russian)
- Ovod I.V., Moiseev S.V., Murodaliev Z.D. To the question of the concept of business reputation. New Science: Theoretical and Practical View, 2016, no. 5-2 (8). (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=25949556
- Petrosyan A.D. Technologies of state regulation of foreign trade conflicts as a tool for making the country image in the world market. Problematic analysis and state-management design, 2012, no. 2, pp. 72-80. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17760541
- Savina T.S. The influence of corporate and social responsibility on the business reputation of the campaign. Veliky Novgorod, 2013, 31 p. (In Russian)
- Simon G. Rationality as a process and product of thinking. THESIS, 1993, Issue 3, pp.16-38. (In Russian)
- Senina Y.A. Campaign reputation as a factor of investment attractiveness. Economics and Business: Theory and Practice, 2016, no. 5, pp.. 151-154. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=26194878
- Williamson O. Behavioral background of modern economic analysis. THESIS, 1993, Issue 3, pp. 39- 49. (In Russian)
- Knots Y. A. Mentality as an institutional factor in the development of the economy. Society: politics, economics, and law, 2011, no.3, pp. 60-66. (In Russian) URL:https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=16921152
- Fiskova L. N. Block-in effect in the process of forming a business entity. Scientific works of Donetsk National Technical University. Series: economic, 2009, no. 2 (37), pp. 203-208. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=21043197
Kovtun O.I., Angelskaya E.A. Institutional approach in world trade: the role and importance of informal institutes. CITISE, 2019, no. 4, pp. 355-368. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/24097616.2019.4.34