T. Suslova, A. Nesterova, N. Komarova,
SCIENTIFIC APPROACHES IN RESEARCH OF ETHNOCULTURAL ADAPTATION OF CHILDREN FROM MIGRANT FAMILIES IN FOREIGN SCIENCE
Tatyana F. Suslova – Candidate of Psychological Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Social Work, Moscow State Regional University, Moscow, Russian Federation, SPIN: 3221-4813, Author ID 446024, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Albina A. Nesterova – Doctor of Psychology, Professor, Department of Social Psychology, Moscow State Regional University, Moscow, Russian Federation, SPIN code: 2855-3800, Author ID 208329, ORCID ID: 0000-0002-7830-9337, E-mail: email@example.com
Natalia M. Komarova – Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Social Work, Moscow State Regional University, Moscow, Russian Federation, SPIN: 5397-2226, Author ID 907816, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract. The article is devoted to the analysis of the main approaches to the study of ethnocultural adaptation of children from migrant families. In foreign science, the adaptation of migrants is studied in the framework of the acculturation model. The article analyzes the main points of the D. Berry acculturation model, popular both abroad and in Russia, and the results of studies of ethnocultural adaptation of teenage migrants carried out by foreign scientists as part of the methodology of this approach. At the same time, some research results are presented in which acculturation model is seriously criticized, the problems (shortcomings) of this model are described, as some foreign scientists see them. Describes the models and approaches that are proposed to replace or complement the acculturation model, such as the dialogue approach, prosecution and others.
Keywords: migration, children from migrant families, acculturation, ethnocultural adaptation, approaches and models of the process of acculturation, problems of children from migrant families.
- Komarova N.M., Suslova T.F., Nesterova A.A. Psychological and pedagogical support of ethnocultural adaptation of children from migrant families in rural schools // Pedagogical education and science, 2018, no. 4, pp. 91-99. (In Russian) URL: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36482326
- Nesterova A.A., Suslova T.F., Efremova G.I. Psychosocial Foundations for Accompanying the Adaptation and Training of Migrants: Monograph. Moscow: RHYTHM Publ., 2017, 159 C. (In Russian)
- Alba R., Nee V. Remaking the American mainstream: assimilation and the new immigration. Cambridge, MA: Harvard university press Publ,. 2003.
- Berry J.W. Acculturation: a conceptual overview. In M. H. Bornstein, L.R.Cote Acculturation and parent-child relationships:measurement and development. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2006. pр.13-30.
- Bhatia S. Acculturation, Dialogical Voices and the Construction of the Diasporic Self .Theory Psychology, 2002, 12(1), p.55-77.
- Bourhis R. Y., Moise L. C., Perreault S., Senecal S. Towards an Interactive Acculturation Model: A Social Psychological Approach. International Journal of Psychology. 1997. – . 32(6). – Р 369-386.
- Castro F. G., Murray K. E. Cultural adaptation and resilience: Controversies, issues, and emerging models. Handbook of adult resilience.New York, NY: The Guildford Press. – Рp. 375–403.
- Clauss Susanne, Bernhard Nauck. The Situation among Children of Migrant Origin in Germany‘, Innocenti Working Paper. Florence, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre. – P. 14.
- Gibson M. Accommodation without assimilation: sect immigrants in an American high school. NY: Cornell university press, 1998.
- Kurtz-Costes B., Pungello Elizabeth P. Acculturation and Immigrant Children: Implications for Educators. National Council for the Social Studies. 2000. http://www.socialstudies.org/sites/default/files/publications/se/6402/640210.html
- Сhirkov V. Summary of the criticism and of the potential ways to improve acculturation psychology // International Journal of Intercultural Relations. 2009. – 33. – Pp. 177–180.
- Donlevy, V., Meierkord, A., Rajania, R. Study on the diversity within the teacher profession with particular focus on migrant and/or minority background. European commission. 2016.
- Doucerain, M., Dere, J., & Ryder, A. G. Travels in hyper-diversity: Multiculturalism and the contextual assessment of acculturation// International Journal of Intercultural Relations. 2013. – Vol. 37(6). – Pp. 686-699. URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0147176713001090?via%3Dihub
- Gamsakhurdia V. (2018). Adaptation in a dialogical perspective—From acculturation to proculturation // Culture & Psychology. 2018. – Vol. 24(4). – Р 545–559.
- Gordon M. Assimilation in American life: the role of race, religion, and national origins. NY: Oxford universitat 1964.
- Hannigan Terence P. Traits, Attitudes, and Skills that Are Related to Intercultural Effectiveness and Their Implications for Cross-Cultural Training: A Review of the Literature,” International Journal of Intercultural Relations. 1990.- 14. – Рp. 89-111.
- Kuo B. Culture’s consequences on coping: Theories, evidente, and dimensionalitis // Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2011. – 42. – Pp. 1082-1102.
- Portes A., Rumbaut R. Legacies: the story of the immigrant second generation. Berkeley, CA: University of California press and Russell sage foundation. 2
- Nesterova A.A., Suslova T.F., Tsyiganov M.E., Kobzeva N.V. Migration as a Social Problem // Asian Social Science/ 2015. – 11. – No. 21 September, 2015. – Pp. 111-117.
- Roux S, Stuck A. Interkulturelle Erziehung und Sprachförderung im Kindergarten – Forschungsergebnisse. URL: https://www.kindergartenpaedagogik.de/1873.html
- Titzmann P. F., Silbereisen R. K. Jugendliche. Migranten: Akkulturation und Entwicklung. [Migrant youth: Acculturation and development]. In A. de Bruin & S. Höfling (Eds.), Es lebe die Jugend – Die Zukunft Jugendlicher gemeinsam gestalten. München: Hanns Seidel Stiftung. – 2011. – Pp. 115 – 126. URL: http://www.hss.de/uploads/tx_ddceventsbrowser/BS-94_02.pdf
- Sommer R.. Migrationspolitik Deutschland. Sommer. URL: https://sputniknews.com/analysis/201802081061489233refugee-worker-bashes-german-refugee-policy/
- Pawliuk N., Grizenko N., Chan-Yip A., Gantous P., Mathew J., Nguyen D. Acculturation style and psychological functioning in children of immigrants. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 1996, Vol. 66(1), pp.111–121.
- Uslucan H.-H. Interkulturalität in Erziehung und Familie: Risiken und Chancen. URL: https://www.liga-kind.de/fruehe/603
Suslova T.F., Nesterova A.A., Komarova N.M. Scientific approaches in research of ethnocultural adaptation of children from migrant families in foreign science. CITISE, 2019, no. 4, pp. 230-241. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15350/24097616.2019.4.23